May 13-19, 2018 – Food Allergy Awareness Week*
Created in 1998 by the Food Allergy & Anaphylaxis Network, now FARE, Food Allergy Awareness Week is honored each May to shine a spotlight on the seriousness of food allergies. By increasing awareness, we can encourage respect, promote safety, and improve the quality of life for the 15 million Americans with food allergies, including all those at risk for life-threatening anaphylaxis.
Here’s what we’re doing… Will you join us?
EDUCATE – We are reaching out to our local schools and asking to read a children’s book about food allergies to students in their classrooms or during their library time. Will you ask to read a book at your children’s school or ask the school librarian to read the book to children that week?
Books we recommend:
- The Princess and the Peanut, a Royally Allergic Fairytale by Sue Ganz-Schmitt
- The Bugabees, friends with food allergies by Amy Recob
- Watch our Facebook page and website for more recommendations to come!
SPREAD AWARENESS – You can spread awareness in lots of ways. Here are two ideas:
- Download a poster from foodallergyweek.org, print it at home, and post at your library, school, place of business, community center, church, etc.
- Wear teal (the official color for food allergy awareness) and post a photo on social media stating why you’re wearing it. Use the hashtags #tealtakeover and #foodallergyawarenessweek and don’t forget to tag us!
SHARE – We want to serve more families who manage dietary restrictions and keep growing our community. You can help:
- Tell someone whose children have diet restrictions about Food-Free Fun for Everyone and invite them to our next event.
- Ask your allergist if they will display a Food-Free Fun for Everyone flyer and keep a stack of postcards for their patients to take home. If they say yes, let us know and we’ll provide the materials.
ENTER TO WIN – Share a photo with us (via firstname.lastname@example.org or tag us on Instagram @foodfreefun or Facebook @foodfreefunforeveryone) of you doing a Food Allergy Awareness Week activity and you will be entered into a prize drawing to take place the following week!